Saturday, March 1, 2008

The "LISTS" of March just flew out the window...

Okay you "guys"~ no fair ... I haven't the slightest idea what Memes are, even though they have been thoroughly explained. I admit it - I still live in the 1990's and before.

So let me continue my 70's stories for just a little while longer.

We had a big old yellow Ford van with seats for 100 (slightly exaggerating of course) and all I did was taxi people around, all over southern CA. Now that is NO lie, but now I'm digressing myself.

One afternoon, when we lived on Via Viajante, in old El Toro, (which was then at the end of nowhere, believe it or not), I was dropping off kids here and there and one in particular, Kevin, desperately wanted to escape the house and tour the old K-Mart, right in the heart of town... By himself!

I dropped him off with the promise of stopping for him on the way home from picking up others along the route. Now I'm sure you can guess the rest. It was before the time of cell phones and Kevin was penniless. I did my pick ups, forgetting only one stop...

As we were getting ready for dinner someone asked where Kevin was. I, too, began to wonder why he wasn't hanging out in the kitchen, impatiently awaiting dinner, with the rest of the gang.

Finally the phone rang and guess who was calling. Imagine how upset he was that he had to bum money from a complete stranger only to find out that his parent-driver had completely forgotten she had even dropped him off...

I'm still not sure I ever lived that one down.

2 comments:

Cathleen said...

Great Story! I'm always afraid that I'm going to do something like that. It can be so much to keep up with.
This explains a lot about Kevin....just kidding.

Happy The Man said...

Kevin who? Oh, you mean Kevin (aka Steve Offer)? I remember him vaguely. A sharply dressed K-mart shop'n sorta guy...