Friday, May 2, 2008

MAY is a beautiful month for a birthday...

My mother, Dorothy (Perle Jodoin) Nourse, aka Grandma (Ronzone) Brown, always loved the fact that her birthday was in May.

Although she was adopted when she was about 5 years old, her original birth certificate (which she received at the age of 60), showed that she was born the 18th of May, but a whole year sooner than she had been told.

So, at the age of 60 she learned she was actually 61 years old...

She also learned she had a middle name, Perle, but she didn't choose to adopt it at that advanced age.

My mother's ancestry has always fascinated me, but I was never able to trace either her natural mother of father as listed on that certificate of her birth. She also had several older siblings, that were lost to her, too...

She never seemed to care; she just treasured the fact that she was born in the lovely month of MAY!

4 comments:

Happy The Man said...

And we'd been celebrating it on the 17th all those years. Cathleen needs to correct her records I think.

That is cool that she loved being born in May, thanks for sharing that story. I miss her.

Happy The Man said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joyce said...

No Greg, Grandma was born in 1917 rather than 1918! The day is the 17th - that's correct.

Welcome back... I thought you had another day! Was it as great as you thought it would be?

I'll bet you are exhausted! xoxoxo

Happy The Man said...

OK, you need to alter your blog post because you said "May 18th". Now go fix that and make our comments here not applicable.