Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day and Happy Birthday wishes!!

Since I write this blog, mostly for Greg, let me start by saying thank you for your comments on Theresa's blog. I happen to think Theresa is a pretty hip "step" mother and I say that with all due respect to Christina.

There are many things 'other mothers' do, for their 'other' children. One thing is to love them and to let them know this, too. Theresa hasn't had the opportunity to be a 'natural' mother, but a good one she would truly wish to be. I can not imagine she would behave differently about M,C or K.

Theresa tries to help Christina's kids, but she knows who the mother is there. T. is a (great) YW president and learns much that is good and right for teenagers in the church. Being a woman she feels things a little differently than 'natural' dads do, as well.

You have an 'other' parent to which you are very kind and loving, because you have made the decision that by doing so you are honoring all parents for trying their best to be there for you.

Our temple sealing, with you and others, is not about making us perfect, but rather about bringing us close to each other for eternity. The Lord will surely help us, if we but honor our covenants with him.

I have turned those matters over to Him. It is beyond my ability to change the hearts of others and I chose not to be resentful as a result.

I know those who loves me, accept me as I am. I am grateful for that love, for surely it is as unconditional as is my love for each of you.

It has been an interesting Mother's Day in many ways. It has not been my favorite, but I am grateful beyond words for the calls and the family members who came. We women shared the very integral part of Mother's Day - each of us being mothers' ourselves.

Special thanks, Greg, for speaking to each of the women, here today! And how wonderful of Andrea's GranPa in Australia to call us today, too.

The birthday parties were all but nil. We'll all laugh about it one day - I hope. It is late and I must close. I missed my mother very much today... her wisdom and common sense. If you are reading this blog... I love you... xoxoxo

4 comments:

Happy The Man said...

I'm sorry this wasn't your favorite Mother's day... I think it may have been mine :) The weather was beyond perfect, if that's possible. We've had weeks of rain, non stop rain. I take that back, 2 weeks ago we had 2 days back to back of pure sun. It was in the 90's and brutally humid. In fact, Tory's first Prom was one of those days, she can tell you how hot it was.

The radio broadcasters were saying that it would be recorded as the best day of the year... The fact is, after so much rain, just having the sun out was a joy to many. But for people like me that hate the humidity, I was thinking the radio guys were off their rockers...

Yesterday was in the 80's with a cool breeze. I was on the back deck after church and could have fallen asleep out there it was so perfect. We had the windows open, it was Utopian weather. My mother's day nap was perfect, I slept like a baby for several hours :)

So, my point is, I'm glad somebody had a wonderful mother's day, one never to be forgotten (lol).

But to reiterate, sadly the grand efforts of step parents often go unrecognized or unappreciated. It's not right. I sent Sheron and email. She never was a mother to me and so I can't say wonderful things about her mothering. But she's still in that role of a would-be step mother, so I always send a mother's day wish.

Joyce said...

Never having put the term "step" to our parenting, it is hard for either Dad or me to consider ourselves in that role.

Theresa shares a responsibility with Kevin that deserves recognition, even though Christina is the one calling the shots. T. sees herself as a stepmother and she's a darn good one at that.

I saw myself the instant parent of 7 children because dad and I agreed that was the way it would be in our home.

It never occurred to me (back then) that the daughters-in-law would develop relationships with the "bio" mom that would supercede my position all those years.

Reality is not always easy to face, especially since both you and Debbie (even Webb) have honored DAD, as a dad, always.

How grateful I am that you have made this choice and how lucky he is that you did.

I know how much it means to him to know his valuable place in each of your lives!!

My Mother's Day wasn't unpleasant and the weather was great here, too. Just not my favorite one, that's all.

Happy The Man said...

Still waiting for photos from the get together...

Joyce said...

I didn't take any... I didn't clear my SD card (for May) and besides I didn't have time! Everything just went by in a blur and when the Ruffners dropped in with Kristen and her girls that evening, we still had the kitchen upside down. Some days are like that... most are for that matter. My multi-tasking days are over, I'm afraid! If I have charge of the food I can't play ~ and visa versa. BUT, the kids had fun, I've no doubt. xoxoxo