Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Happy Birthday, Andrea

Now I know Andrea doesn't read my blogs, but her birthday is important, none the less. At 39 she isn't the happiest camper, about being pregnant ~ and barefoot in the kitchen ~ but this baby boy will bring her much joy in the long run! She looks beautiful, as she always does when pregnant, and we are excited about another little grandchild in the family.

In my growing wisdom - and age - which seem to be happening at the same time, I realize how valuable and impacting mothers and fathers are. I am grateful for a mother who asked little from me and received even less, I fear. Having her in our home for her final 16 years, I feel blessed to know her first concerns were for her children and their spouses.

She taught me many lessons about giving of oneself without the attitude of what she might receive back in return. Her simple pleasures - on birthdays and other holidays ~ are now treasures to me. She was a most selfless person and I wish I'd inherited those traits for myself.

I guess what I'm saying is that although I know I love my children unconditionally, I expect something more in return. My goal is to have the love I feel truly be unconditional in every way. Maybe my mom is still working on me... I think with the help of our Heavenly Father perhaps she is.

So happy birthday to Andrea - and of course my mom whose birthday is this coming Sunday. xoxoxo

No comments: